Sunday, June 16, 2019

When it Rains, It Pours


When it rains, it pours.

All day Friday I tried to get ahold of the vet about the guinea pig, but for whatever reason they were not answering their phones. As luck would have it, Thing 2 works right next door to the, so she walked over. Doors locked and lights out. No explanation. From at least 2:30pm until closing time at 6pm. So I will call on Monday.

Meanwhile, on Saturday….The Hubs looks at me and says, “look at the dogs eyes.” I do and they are completely blue/gray and hazy. He asks if I think the dog has cataracts. While its possible, the idea of the dog having cataracts appear in both eyes in one day seems a bit slim to me. The Hubs says that on Friday they looked a little glazed, but he wasn’t sure. Now he is sure.

So of course I look it up on the internet, which has all the answers and none of the answers at the same time. Turns out of could be one of at least 7 or 8 different things, some of them very bad, some of them no big deal. Of course. The bad ones seem to all involve pain, loss of vision, rubbing of eyes, etc., and he doesn’t seem to have any of those problems so since I will already be calling the damn vet on Monday anyway!




Then Sunday hits. Happy Father’s day! And the dogs eye are even whiter, if that is possible, and he is now squinting and rubbing his eyes on things. So we head off to the vet hospital, of course. Because per the internet, some of these things are very time sensitive and I don’t want him to go blind because I waited, right?

Of course, the hospital is busy with people who have to put their dogs down, so it is extra depressing. And the vet comes in and confirms that it would be quite odd for him to get cataracts in both eyes on the same day. He thinks it might be glaucoma, which can sudden onset or be a complication from diabetes.

So testing abounds. And we wait. Then the vet said something everyone wants to hear…….”We can get you started, but you will need to go see a dog ophthalmologist.”

Of course we will. Pets are commitments I don’t take lightly, so we will do what we have to for him. But this week is a good reminder of why I am ready to let these guys be the last of our pets for a while. Maybe forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment