Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Midnight Conversations


Sleep was always the one thing I had going for me. I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat and stay asleep all night. But, as I get older I find that I have these episodes where I wake up in the middle of the night. I REFUSE to look at my phone, computer, TV or even turn on a light. I assume that if I just lie there long enough, I will eventually fall back asleep, even if it just out of boredom. Which just leaves me, my brain and our middle of the night conversations.



BRAIN- Whatever happens do not look at the clock. Do not. Look. At the. Clock
 Me- What day is it anyway. Is it Wednesday or Thursday?
 B- Thursday. Hair appointment tomorrow.
Me- Maybe I should get bangs. I haven’t had bangs since I was 8 years old.
B- There’s probably a reason for that
Me- But maybe they would be cute
B- Really, that’s what you’re worried about? Of all the things to worry about, bangs isn’t it.
Me- True. We have a lunatic for a president, the water and the air are getting poisoned. Its bad.
B- Think it’s bad now? Wait until North Korea nukes us. Everything will be poisoned. Water, air, the sofa
Me- Oh God….what are we going to do to stop this? We have to think of something.
B- There nothing that can be done. Seriously, we are just tiny specks flying around on a rock hurtling through space at a zillion miles an hour.  There’s nothing that can be done.
Me- Yeah, I guess that’s right. In the big picture we need to be zen about this. Life will survive.
B- Of course not. We are all going to die eventually.
Me- That’s so sad. So stressful. This is awful.
B- You know what’s really awful? Bangs
Me- Yeah. I think that was probably a bad idea.
B- Doesn’t matter anyway, tomorrow is Wednesday.
Me- Shit. Wednesday is the dentist appointment. Did I wax my mustache? I totally cannot go to the dentist and have some stranger poking around in my mouth if I have a mustache. I’ll have to check that in the morning. When is the morning anyway?
B- DO NOT LOOK AT THE CLOCK. No one cares about your mustache anyway. People rights are being trampled.
Me- Oh God…..what are we going to do.
B- Die. Everyone dies. Stop worrying about things you can’t control
Me- But I need to do something. Help people. Also, when is the vet appointment?
B- Friday.
Me- Oh that won’t work. What the hell was I thinking. I will need to call in the morning and change that. Speaking of morning.
B- DO NOT LOOK AT THE CLOCK
Me- Why is my husband making all those noises?
B- Because he is asleep.
Me- I know, but it so annoying when he is breathing and everything. How am I supposed to sleep with all that breathing???
B- Focus! It’s the morning on the other side of the world. For all you know, the missiles are already flying towards us as we speak.
Me- Well, if that’s the case there really isn’t much I can do about it anyway, is there? So I guess we will all just die
B- OMG. Such a quitter. You know what? You deserve bangs. Go ahead and get them.
It will give us something to talk about next week.




1 comment: