Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Not My Ballgame Anymore


Thing 2 had a Dr.’s appointment today. No big deal, just regular check up stuff. When she came out, she was discussing a medication change and a follow up with the nurse and for a moment there I was really startled. I mean, she went in by herself, because she is 18 and doesn’t really need me to do this for her anymore. But there is this old habit of feeling like I need to be in the know and in charge of all this business. I have been doing it for these kids for over 20 years after all. It’s hard to all of a sudden realize that this isn’t your ballgame anymore.





On the other hand, I WANT her to take charge of her health, to know how to make Dr.’s appointments, discuss her problems (or lack thereof) with them candidly and to make decisions that reflect that conversation. Ownership of your body and your health is one of the most important things we all have in this life.

It is just one of the many things that, as my kids get older, they no longer need me for. That’s a good thing too, because that was the job, right? Raise them to be adults and to take care of themselves.

Now, if I could just get them to start cooking dinner…..

No comments:

Post a Comment