Thursday, June 6, 2019

True Confessions of a Digital Hoarder


Time for some true confessions…

I had a guilty addiction to the TV show Hoarders. My daughter used to watch it with me too. And the show Hoarding. And I have read numerous books on minimalism and follow several blogs about it too. If something goes “missing” around my house, the first thing the kids say is “Did you throw it away??” Maybe. I do things like that.

But…

I am a digital hoarder.

There. I said it. And it’s true.

While I am the furthest thing from a hoarder of any kind at home, in the digital realm I am a hoarding professional.

In my defense, and I don’t really have one, I am a photographer, so the hoarding of the photos makes sense. But there are really plenty that I have that are not worth saving, but whatever. If that was all, it wouldn’t even be worth mentioning.

But there are all kinds of photography classes, with PDF’s and videos.  And word documents, spreadsheets, meme’s, etc. And when you “save” them they just seem to disappear and not take up any space, which is  more encouragement than I need.

Then there is Pinterest. The Holy Grail of digital hoarding. I joined back when you needed to be invited by someone else who was already using it. I have recipes, instructions, home decorating ideas. Thousands and thousands of pins.



So what makes it “digital hoarding?” The fact that, for the most part I never go back and look at these things. Of the 3146 recipes I have saved, I have made exactly 36. I know this because I move them from one board to another when I make them. Because I am organized digital hoarder, if nothing else.  I have made none of the DIY projects, none of the Christmas decorations and none of the flower arrangements. But I cannot be persuaded to part with them. Oh no. I will keep them forever and get a slight feeling pf panic at the idea that Pinterest might not exist someday in the future.

And like every good hoarder, I have no plans to thin my hoard any time soon. So, if you find yourself in need of some random piece of info or a really good recipe for pork carnitas (oven or crock pot, I have both) go ahead and ask. Nothing makes me happier than putting my hoard to good use!





2 comments:

  1. Silly girl. Digital hoarding is not television worthy--there is no rat faeces. How can that even be considered hoarding? I say you are just supremely organized and a collector of ideas. It's like an outside brain. Oooo, that would be a good show. If it was an actual brain born on the outside of your head. Can you do that instead of Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%! You can be on the show with me--as the comic relief!

      Delete