Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Retirement Village


We have settled into summer. It was 109 out today and is expected to be 112 on Wednesday, and while the 6-7 months of gorgeous weather lull us into a false sense of contentment, this weather makes me contemplate all the places in the world I would like to live when I retire. And since this weather will keep up until October I have had a lot of summer months over the years to narrow it down.

I have come up with the criteria for where I want to live, but not the place.

I want to live near water….an ocean or a large lake. But I’m not rich, so it cannot be anywhere fancy. I don’t care if it’s a smaller town as long as it is not more than 1 ½ to 2 hours from a large city with an airport. Maybe Oregon or Washington?

I want the weather in the summer to be between 75-85 and to cool down at night. Actually, I would take 65-70 in the winter too if we are talking all year round. Maybe Hawaii?

I don’t want to deal with humidity or lots of bugs though, so Florida is out. Besides, it’s too hot there.

The Midwest, East Coast are all out because they get too much winter, the South is out because its way too humid and hot in the summer.

What about overseas? I would be an ex-pat in a hot minute. A little Italian village…..I might even put up with winter for that.

Perhaps I will stay here during the lovely winter months, meaning I only have to find somewhere that’s nice during the summer, like Flagstaff, which is a much easier task. But I don’t know that maintaining 2 households will be in the budget either….I guess there is always the Airstream.

Sometimes, just to occupy my mind when it’s a billion degrees outside and I’m trapped in the house I look homes for sale in all of these places. So if one particularly hot day in July I happen to disappear, check my browser history and head towards the water.









No comments:

Post a Comment