Sunday, June 23, 2019

He Might Be Right


Last week we had a cleaning company come in and clean the house. It wasn’t an ordinary clean because we don’t ordinarily have them come. We haven’t ever had them come actually. So it was more like a deep, spring cleaning. Baseboards, doorjambs, the oven, and all the regular stuff too like the floors, bathrooms, etc. Hell, they even cleaned the coffeemaker and the Keurig. It was just time. No amount of cleaning done by us was going to get there unless we started on a Friday and didn’t stop until Monday morning.

And it is glorious. Everything is so lovely.

Which sucks.

Why? Because The Hubs has been after me for years to hire cleaning people. You, know, regular ones that come every two weeks and clean the house. I have resisted long and loudly. Why would I do such a thing? Because I am cheap. Like CHEAP cheap. I look at that cost for each month and mentally calculate how much it adds up to every year and what else I could do with that money.

There are plenty of things I could do with that money, including a nice vacation. For me anyway. Probably not enough for everyone, but whatever. So I then always announce that NO, we will NOT have cleaning people, I am perfectly capable of cleaning my own house!

Of course, I AM perfectly capable of it, most people are. Plus I have these damn teenagers here who can also do physical labor even if they aren’t very good at it. But somehow it never seems to happen. And by “somehow” I actually mean I just don’t do it. I need help to get it done and getting everyone available at the same time is nearly impossible. If we all clean at different times, on different days, the house never seems clean. It seems like bits of it are clean, while other parts are still dirty, awaiting their moment of attention. So instead, I mostly blow it off for longer than anyone should, start yelling at everyone that “OMG we live like pigs” and clean what I can, which isn’t everything but is the floors and bathroom so I can pretend the house is clean, and then give up again.

Which is what led to the “We need a deep clean to get up off on the right foot!” bullshit. And we did, and it did. But now it’s on us to maintain it, and by us I mean me.

And I don’t want to.

So it sucks because I am so enjoying living in a lovely clean house that I might actually just break down and hire cleaning people, which will distress me every time I pay them, but make me happy at the time in between.

And also because it means The Hubs was right.

2 comments:

  1. Let the Hubs win this one. We have called our cleaning lady "Marriage Saver" for years. Enjoy the luxury so you can get back to doing things that make you happy.

    ReplyDelete