Saturday, June 22, 2019

To Infinity and Beyond!


I spent the day, well yesterday and today, watching Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3.  Why? Because I am a huge Disney freak, obviously, but there’s more to it than that.

These movies in particular have a special place in my heart.

The first one was released in 1994. Bonus Daughter was 3 and we took her to see it in the theatre. By the time the second one came out Thing 1 was 2 and she was 8. The perfect age for these movies. We owned them on VHS and watched them all the time. They never got old.

Two years after Toy Story 2 came out Thing 2 came along, so we watched these movies for years.

They were magical.



Thing 2 took them so much to heart that I remember once when she was 5 or 6 and was telling her that she needed to stop leaving all her drawers open in her room all the time and she said “But Mom, I do it so all my toys can come out and play together while I’m at school.”

They were 9 and 11 when Toy Story 3 came out and I remember all of us in the theatre, crying as the toys all held hands and slid down towards the incinerator.

So I am watching all three again in anticipation of seeing number 4 this weekend. They are 21 and 18 now and my binging of the Toy Story movies has been met with no small amount of laughter and eye rolling.

But when I asked who wanted to go with me, they both chimed in.

I asked Thing 2 if I should wait until she was off work to go, in case she wanted to see it too. She immediately said yes, but told me I needed to ask Thing 1 before buying any tickets because if he wanted to go we would need to schedule around his work too.

He does.



So we can’t see it until Sunday night, because work schedules are crazy for the two of them on the weekend, but we are ready.

Because while my childhood brings back lots of fun memories, I am much more emotionally tied to their childhoods.





No comments:

Post a Comment