Monday, June 17, 2019

My Dog Was Taken Up by the White Walkers (Dog vs Vet, part deux)


My dog has been taken up by the white walkers…..

I believe when we left off in the last episode, Curly the Night King was at the ER vet, awaiting testing. Well, let me tell you. That was mistake. Or maybe it wasn’t, but I’m just going to say up front that I feel like I spent $500 for nothing.

The vet wanted to test him for glaucoma and diabetes which can cause glaucoma, so after 3 hours, he called. He said he was ready to leave and that “I didn’t test him for glaucoma because we didn’t have a battery for the machine.”

Pro Tip #1—You are across the street from Target. Go get a battery. This does not inspire confidence.

Then he says it that is ok, because “I think he has lipids in his eyes.”

Pro Tip #2—You THINK? As a middle school teacher once said to me “No one cares what you think, they care about what you KNOW.” This does not inspire confidence.

Then he tell me that he is going to give him some steroid eye drops and I should “recheck with my regular vet in 5-7 days and, um, hopefully this will all resolve.”

Pro Tip #3—Hope is not a plan. This does not inspire confidence.

And that’s all he tells me.



I take the dog home and promptly upon waking today call my regular vet who gets me in right away and checks him again. His machine has a battery. It’s not glaucoma, but he says it doesn’t look like an lipids he has ever seen before and I need to get to the dog eye Dr. He calls and there are 5 offices around town. All are booked. He pulls some strings and gets us into the only one possible for a 1pm appointment……in Avondale. Which is about as far from me as you can get, but whatever.

So we see a wonderful vet and her assistant who do all the testing (their machines have batteries) and guess what she says??

It’s lipids.

BUT---she then explains that it could be valley fever and that needs to be tested for because the blood results from Vet #1 show some anomalies. Also, that is could be the onset of an autoimmune disorder that he will have for life, or it could just go away and never come back. Or maybe it becomes something that recurs with him…we just don’t know.  What she does know is that while Vet #1 gave him the drops, that is not nearly aggressive enough treatment. If the inflammation gets to be too bad, he could go blind from a detached retina. He gets a shot in each eyeball and some pain meds because, according to her, it’s like having a charley horse in your eye. Then she tells us she teaches at the veterinary school and wants to know if she can make a video of his eyes because it almost never presents like this. Sure, go ahead.

His vision is compromised and about half what is normally is, but if this resolves without a retina detachment, his vision will be back to normal. And currently his retina looks perfect.

So, he now takes his pills 3x a day for his seizures, gets eye drops 2x a day and gets pain med (oral liquid) 1x a day and no fat in his diet.

And we wait.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment